I'm aware that new sign ups are not able to receive the email confirmation notification, due to google has disabled the SMTP service. please email me at [email protected] for manual activation. We will be moving to a better platform soon.
Pag may issue direct email nyo lang ako sa [email protected]. Hindi mawawala ang site nato dahil need natin ng ganitong site para may protection tayo. Kumpara sa Social Media kung san expose ang buong buhay nyo :) Ingat baka matrace kayo. Alam nyo naman ang nature ng buhay natin sa Singapore. Ingat po sa lahat. Salamat po! :)
Important notice to those who are posting Job Advertisements on the site. Please check the proper guidelines from Tafep.sg here before posting. Read on the Words And Phrases To Avoid In Job Advertisements .
Hi to all Pinoys out there in Singapore! We are bringing up a new online community where our aim is to help each other and to integrate / blend well with other people around us here in our 2nd Home. Hope you can join us and make us your new tambayan place! An attempt to bring back pinoysg.com . For issues on the site please send your concern to [email protected] . Please don't forget to check your spam folder when checking for the confirmation email.

Things to consider when looking for Flat to Rent

Based on our experience renting a Flat for a decade here in Singapore, If you are planning to rent a whole flat as a main tenant. You have to be extra careful on getting fully furnished flat. Why? Some owners or agent of owners are evil. And will squeeze out your deposit for weird charges after your contract ends, you have to define with them what “wear and tear means”.

A good case scenario was when the owner’s agent did a hand-over inspection (because we already vacated the house), she noticed there was a small crack in the washing (Frontload) machine’s rubber gasket. With our stay for 3yrs, we didn’t notice it at all, as it never hindered or caused any malfunction or problem with the whole washing machine unit. The washing machine was working well even with that small cut. They wanted us to replace the whole rubber gasket which will cost around $200. After hours of debate, they left and came back to us after 3 days and decided to charge us $20 as depreciation charge. WTH! Anyways it’s better than $200 so we agreed.

Another case was with our previous rented flat, during the hand-over inspection to owner, the owner noticed there was a missing lock clip from her electric fan cover, her and asking us to pay $50 for the missing lock clip. Not only that but also charging us for her sliding cabinet due to the cabinet door doesn’t slide smoothly anymore. She’s charging us $80!!! Puke! Cases like this are not new. So just be careful, if you can take a picture from the time they hand you the key to the house, from the fire of the hob, hood, doors, everything! Take a pic so that you will have a proof after your contract ends with them.

I'm not saying I don't want to pay for those charges. but common hope they can be realistic on the charges!

Some other advices I can share as well when choosing a flat to rent are
A. Check if you neighbor upstairs has noisy kids – yes believe me, we suffered a lot from a neighbor with lots of kids. Don’t get me wrong I love kids, but if it’s already 12am - 1am and you can still hear heavy feet running from your ceiling. Good luck!

B. Check if you neighbor who made the corridor as extension of their house. –I know, it’s common in Singapore, but hello… to block the whole corridor with their sofa and cabinet. YES! Some places their sofa and cabinets outside. You can try complain to the community office though. But again good luck.

C. If you have kids specially planning to have a baby, make sure you don’t have a neighbor beside you who buns ritualistic stuff like joss papers, carton/paper house, incense.

How bout you? Do you anything to suggest?

Comments

• edited February 2015
    I think we can change the topic to "Things to consider" rather than tips . kasi parang iba dating pag tips. parang tips and tricks. just my 2 cent. but good info you have here admin.
  • I-add ko rin Admin,i consider rin yung malapit sa market or grocery store like giant(dati shop&save),fairprice etc. yung walking distance lang para makatipid especially kung nagluluto kayo. Wag masyadong malapit or ilalim lang ng blk nyo yung market/hawkers kc maingay din at mainit. Maganda kung malapit lang din sa mrt o bustop at sa school ng mga bata para dn magschool bus. Sayang din yung bayad sa school bus dahil kahit bakasyon may bayad. Kinonsider din namin malapit sa church para derecho sa bahay para maglunch or dinner at dn kumain sa labas. Medyo magastos kung weekly lagi kumakain sa labas ok lang kahit paminsan minsan lalo na kung payday,may okasyon or bonus $-) These are the things we considered also when we bought our flat plus yung mga tips ni Admin.
  • I guess mas mura ng ngayon ang rental. I have a friend who is renting a 3 bedroom flat for just 2.1k, their HDB is not old and also renovated. bagsak ang mga price ng rental so take your time and most impt Bargain!!! no need for Agent kasi hindi na uso mag agent ang tenant, just be careful sa pipirmahan, especially sa clause where you need to pay for broken stuff. negotiate also sa aircon cleaning na 3 times a year instead of 4 times a year (just a tip) :)